Monday, August 2, 2010

Tragedy strikes the Dead.

So, after experiencing The Dead for the fist time and not wanting those highs of, not only that show and the four shows to follow, (three of them at The World Music Theatre) to not fade away... Unfortunately less that a week later they did. Brent Mydland, the legendary keyboardist and vocalist of the Dead passed away. It was a moment that I remember so well, but now that I look back on it as an adult, it did strike me till now that I wasn't as sad as the rest of the "heads".

I think I wanted to be, and in a way, felt some empathy for them but had know idea that SO many people we SO sad - like they had lost a brother. I know now, that after spending the next five years getting everything Dead I could get my hands on... living, breathing, walking and seeing Dead, I too would feel their pain, what they were going through. I won't get into the morning of August 9th, 1995 right now, but, I have never cried so hard and felt the pain of death, till that day. In all the 35 short years of my life, it still remains the saddest day. Granted, I have lost some grandparents - but no one real close.

I guess what I am trying to get across is there is a connection through the music. After years with someone in your life, day in and day out, it is, a relationship. The music never lets you down though. It is a drug. You only want another song, another tour. Another encore. One more hit. I know now what the loss of Brent meant to the "Deadheads". I spent that whole summer getting my hands on as much Brent as possible. In a strange way - I wanted to feel their pain. SO I engulfed myself with more of the lifestyle than ever before.

Being a part of this phenomenon was what is was all about. It was, in a way, one big happy family. For the small about of problems that I had at that moment in my life, this band made them all go away. There is a line from "Almost Famous" where the groupie says to William, "Do you know what its like to love a band so much that it hurts?" Yes, I do. Yes, the Deadheads were that passionate.

It seems that after Brents tragic death, the tour changed a bit. It was saddened, but with all the positive vibes that came with so many wonderful people, it also was strengthened. This is true in all life travels. All adversity can be overcome. With a strong family, it just makes it that much more easier.

Up next...A New Look for the Dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment