Saturday, July 24, 2010

My First "Tapes" - A Deadhead Experince

Back in the summer of '89, I had just graduated from the 8th grade. I was about to become a freshman in high school. My friend John, had an older bother, Jim, who was constantly talking to his buddies about heading up to Alpine Valley in July to see The Grateful Dead. I really had only known the Dead from their popular video on MTV (yeah they showed real videos back then) that I thought was cool because of the dancing skeleton's in "Touch of Grey".

Alpine was only about 2 hrs away so Jim and his buddies planned to go up, camp close by, and come back the next day. John and I convinced our parents we were staying at each others house - and once we convinced Jim to let us tag along - well as they say, it's all downhill from there.

I rode with John, Jim, and Jim's buddy, Mike. Mike was a real (hippie), at least to a 14 yr. old anyway. He smoked, had long hair, wore the raggedy Dead shirt with tie-die colors all faded. With him, he bought along his camping gear, a backpack and the most important thing... a sleeve of twenty Maxell XL II's. These tapes he referred to as bootlegs.

The name just sounded cool and the way he said, "Hey man, you mind if I throw in the booter from Kesey's, '72?". It just sounded cool. They were all in colorful sleeves with neatly printed words lke Help ->Slip->Frank, and Dark Star -> Other One ->Dark Star, Scarlet->Fire, etc. As Mike was popping in this legendary show, which I will get to in a minute, he would tell stories from the road, about this song, and that. How "The Dead" started in the Haight Ashbury district in Cali, what Pigpen was really all about and how he was the original leader of the band. It was awesome.

The show, was known around the campfire as Kesey's Creamery Benefit (8/27/1972). The legendary Ken Kesey, and this was one of his "Field Trip" shows. In the archives, it is the Old Renaissance Faire Grounds. You see, Ken and his family owned a Dairy Farm and hosted many field trips - but this one here in Veneta, Oregon, this one is legendary. Legendary not just for the Dead being there along with the Riders of the Purple Sage, but in the tape traders market as well. Quite possibly top five of all time on all "must have" lists. Now, I didn't know this at the time, but this was the first show that I would be given a copy of and is now infamous in my collection as well.

This show is like no other; From the swingin' style of Sugaree, the unmistakably, and undeniably the best China>Rider; to the second set Bird Song and Dark Star...I was hooked.
It was only after I promised Mike, to follow a few rules of taping etiquette, that he copied me my first show.

We stayed in the parking area that evening during the show. It was an eye-opening experience that was unmistakeable, and would ultimately plant the seed to blossom for many years to come.

When I got home I tucked this gem away with some of my other prized possessions in the top drawer of my dresser. I would pull it out from time to time, drop it into my Walk-Man, and listen intensely to the subtle sounds of percussion, Jerry's timid and restless voice and amazing lyrics, the deep rapping bass of Phil, and Bobby's sheer joy and energy throughout.

The next summer was already planned in my eyes. There would be no stopping me from getting back to the "Promise Land" - But how would I figure out to be gone one entire summer when I was only 15?

Up next... The Bus Came By... My first Dead show, on the inside.



No comments:

Post a Comment